Thanks for having me on here, Paloma! This is such a fun concept and I thought I'd do the thirteen geek references in my new release BEER AND GROPING IN LAS VEGAS.
Riley McGregor is a geek trapped in a Good Ole Boy body and as owner of a microbrewery, smart chicks never look at him twice.
Rejected by a geek who wanted to “trade up,” Mirjam Linna would rather immerse herself in work than be the girlfriend-of-the-moment. Stranded in a Vegas hotel, she makes a wish—a night of hot sex with the man of her dreams. It's granted. She agrees to dinner, but afterward, she’ll say thanks, but no thanks, and see what’s on the SyFy channel. But when they meet, they're surprised to find they had a shared connection in their past. Sparks fly as these two learn to be in the moment, be themselves and find love.
Fans of Star Trek, Star Wars, Monty Python, Firefly and Marvin the Martian will enjoy this romantic comedy.
Amazon | B&N | ARe | BookStrand | trailer | goodreads | shelfari
Thirteen Geek References/Easter Eggs. Lines from the novelette:
1. [the opening line] Mirjam rubbed the tiredness from her eyes, but the caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland still occupied the Rivenbark Hotel & Casino elevator with her
2. She stuck out like a Redshirt on an away mission.
3. A guy passed by, dressed as the king in Monty Python's Holy Grail, complete with his sidekick beating two coconuts together
4. Wham. She glommed onto him like white plastic on a Stormtrooper, shamelessly pressing against his body, groping and kissing.
5. He poked his head through the door, one eyebrow cocked. "Safe? Did I take the red pill downstairs and not know it?"
6. "Marvin the Martian boxers? You came to a blind date wearing these?"
7. "What's this?" She traced the outline of his small hip tattoo. "It's Mandarin for 'serenity'."
8. He pretended to pout. "I didn't take you for a high maintenance chick. Pumpkin? Lammy-toes?" [the last endearment was used by Wash for Zoe in Firefly]
9. The sooner she started her date, the sooner it'd be over, and she could curl up in the huge-ass hotel bed and devour late night movies on TV. Maybe there'd be a movie marathon on the SyFy channel
10. "Spit it out, Miss Anne Elk." His head jerked up. A Monty Python fan? God, could she be any more perfect?
11. An elderly lady sported an "Obey Gravity. It's the Law" T-shirt and winked at her. Her husband had on cargo shorts and sandals, with v1.0 printed on his black T-shirt.
12. Well, that one goes in the books. Mr. Sulu himself witnessing them sucking face!
And probably the most obscure, unless you knew to look for it:
13. "What's your room number?" "1516," she croaked. Oh shit, her clothes littered the floor. [Part of the infamous numbers from LOST]
DO YOU HAVE ANY FAVORITE GEEKS/ GEEK LINES FROM A BOOK OR MOVIE?? Share Them by Commenting below. I'd love to hear some!
Angela works at an independent bookstore and lives in an historic house in the beautiful and quirky town of Mobile, AL, with her two matched gray cats, Darcy and Bingley. When she's not writing, she enjoys the usual stuff like gardening, reading, hanging out, eating, drinking, chasing squirrels out of the walls and creating the occasional knitted scarf. She's had a varied career, including website programming and directing a small local history museum.
She's an admitted geek and is proud to be among the few but mighty Browncoats who watched Firefly the first night it aired. She was introduced to the wonderful world of science fiction by her father, by way of watching reruns of the original Star Trek in her tweens and later giving her a copy of Walter M. Miller Jr's A Canticle for Leibowitz as a teenager. She hasn't looked back since.
She has a B.A. in Anthropology and International Studies with a minor in German from Emory University, and a Masters in Heritage Preservation from Georgia State University. She was an exchange student to Finland in high school and studied abroad in Vienna one summer in college. She recently found representation with Maura Kye-Casella at Don Congdon, Assoc.
Find Angela here:
Website | blog | twitter | facebook