#WWoW! Pin It!


I’m still keeping it simple.
In this weekly feature, I’ll give just one suggestion of something to try. Or maybe I’ll tell you about one thing that helped me as a new author or one thing not to do. Regardless what I choose to talk about, I promise it will be simple because, after all, we are all very busy people…


Let's talk about Pinterest. It's not just for fun. It can be another FREE social networking tool for authors. Start with the basics... open an account and set up your profile (being sure to add your links). Install the PIN IT button onto your browser toolbar. That's it for set up and now you're ready! That easy? Yep.

Now you get to have some fun but we're going to call it work so... time to get to work!

Create some Boards. 
Just CLICK on the +Add button along the top. Choose Create a Board. Name it. Categorize it. CLICK Create Board. Some good choices are things that interest you (check mine out for ideas) and that can tell readers more about you as an author and as a person. NOTE that you can always add more boards at any time.
Some ideas include a Books Board, Guest Post Board, Features Board and a Review Board. You can even create a board for each of your books or series, published or WIPs. Add a board for important quotes and potential character ideas.
Add Pins.
There are lots of ways to do this. First, you can use that same +Add button along the top to add pins from the web or to upload some from your computer. You can use your Pin It button to add any photos from any website. You can also browse the general Pinterest site by clicking on the word Pinterest in the top center of the screen. Put some fun pins on your boards - don't worry right away about perfection.
** Editorial Addition: Be cautious of copyright in regards to photos you pin! **

How does this help your business?
You will advertise to a wider audience. DEFINITELY pin your blog posts and books (be sure to add information and a link back). Click that little "tweet" button every time you add an important pin. These pins will get shared -through a vast network- and should bring people back to you. Also be sure to include the link to your Pinterest Profile wherever you include all other social networking links. It's another outlet for you to get recognition.

So, what are you waiting for? Pin It!

And Keep Writing!
Paloma

WoW is a Smart & Savvy Group of Authors who write this weekly feature for their blog each Wednesday. While we don't claim to be experts, the goal is to impart what we've learned about writing, editing, getting published, book promotion, and more along the way. 
Follow along and read all this week's contributors' posts. 

You can follow us on twitter at #WWoW.
Or find us on facebook at Words of Wisdom.

We also welcome more authors' participation. Sign up is through our facebook page.

Comments

  1. Pinterest is so much fun, and I agree it can be helpful for any sorts of stuff. But please be aware that the pinterest Terms of Service say that every picture you pin has to be your own, and by pinning it you allow pinterest to use it. So you can get in a whole lot of trouble for copyright infringement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Added the warning to my blog post because it was so important to actually put in writing. Thanks, Laura.

      Delete
    2. I love Pinterest. I have been using it for my book. But when you repin from someone else does that effect copyright stuff?

      Delete
    3. Julie, as long as it's just on a Pinterest board, you are fine to use it. If you want to use it outside of Pinterest, click "edit" and you will see the link where the pin originated. You can trace it back to give credit where credit is due (or you may see you aren't allowed to use it other than on Pinterest;)). Always site a photo you get from anywhere on the web when reusing on your own site.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the warning. I made the giant leap that writers would know that with all the information recently circulating about that. Good piece of info to share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like I'm going to end up having to try this now, Paloma! You make these things sound so easy! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easy and once you set it up, it's just another 20 second step while promoting something. Just don't start playing and look up to realize its an hour later!

      Delete
  4. I'm intrigued by Pinterest but I struggle with finding a balance of time spent promoting and networking vs. time spent writing. If you were to choose just a couple of things to do (blogging, twitter, Goodreads, Pinterest etc) which would it be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celeste, I link everything so I can be in as many places as possible with as little work as possible. In fact, next week's WoW post is titled "Link It!" because linking your accounts (so something you say once is spread across your social networking platforms) is key. Don't choose one - just link them all. ;)

      Delete
  5. Great post, Paloma! I have been staying away from Pinterest because I'm afraid I will let my addictive personality take over and pin my day away! As with all social media the trick is to find the right balance, but what the heck. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

    Celeste, once you get your blog/website set up and linked to your various social media, you can post once and it will show up on all of them. If you're anything like me, it's not this part that's the problem. It's getting caught up in Facebook socializing for example and letting the time just slip by. I'm still working on that! LOL

    In the end, set up what works best for YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinterest can absolutely suck you in. It goes in my 8:30-10:00am promo time. That's the time I allow myself each weekday to get the bulk of my networking things done. After that, it only happens during a few breaks I take. This way I am always spending more time writing every day than anything else.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts