Jillian Chantal's Season of the Witch

Thanks Paloma for having me pop in today and share one of my releases. This one, The Season of the Witch, is a short paranormal story set in New England. I love shifter stories and this one was a lot of fun to write. I’m a huge fan of felines and wanted to write something slightly different so I chose a snow leopard for the hero. They are gorgeous animals with their white fur and vivid blue eyes so of course, the hero is a yummy blue-eyed man with a strong body. The snow leopard packs a lot of punch in its powerful limbs so I wanted to bring that to life with the hero as well.

I hope everyone enjoys the blurb and excerpt. I’ve also put a link to the book trailer at the end...

BLURB
Murders of cat shifters in her hometown worry Gato Wilfawn. Friends are being killed and she's a shifter herself.  A gifted seer, she can't get a handle on who's behind the crimes as her crystal ball has gone curiously murky. Chordata Shan, known as Cord, a member of the International Shifter Police Corps, arrives in town to try to solve the cases. He enters Gato's shop, The Season of the Witch, to hire her to assist him with her talent as a seer. The spark between them is instantaneous and the fur flies until Cord disappears.

EXCERPT
He turned to her and she had to force herself from gasping at his beauty. He was most certainly not old. He looked at her with eyes the color of a glacier. She was immediately transported in her mind to Glacier Bay in Alaska, where she’d seen the calving of the ice into the ocean. His eyes pierced her soul. They seemed to see into the depths of her mind.
“Are you all right?” He peered at her. He spoke with what sounded like a Russian accent.
She shook her head as if to clear it. “I’m fine. Sorry, I was just gazing into my crystal ball. I’m still in a sort of trance. She hoped the lie wasn’t obvious.
“So, you are a seer then?”
“Do you need some help?”
He walked toward her. “I do. Have you heard about the recent cat killings?”
Again, she had to stop herself from gasping. This was exactly what she was trying to investigate on her own. “Yes. As a matter of fact, I have heard of these horrible ritualistic killings. In fact, when you came in, I was looking into my ball to see if I could see anything at all related to who may be behind it.”
He stepped closer until he was in her personal space. “What did you find?”
She took a step back, flustered by his masculinity and something that seemed vaguely feline. She tossed her head for clarity. “Nothing. I got nothing.”
“Hell. I need to get a lead on this. I was hoping you could help me.”
“I wish I could. I’m also trying to figure out who’s behind it. If it’s one person or an organization.”
“Why? Why are you involved?” He looked around the shop, “Do you think it’s witchcraft?”
“Uh-uh. Not necessarily. Just because my shop is called The Season of the Witch and I sell herbs and New Age items, doesn’t make me think everything is related to witchcraft.” She went behind the counter to get more distance from the man who was decidedly too disturbing to her senses. “And besides, wouldn’t it be a cliché for ritualistic killings of cats to be related to satanic worship?”
“No. I mean, why do you care? Why are you investigating?”
“I could ask you the same thing.” She leaned on the wooden top of the counter.
“I asked you first.” He winked and leaned in from his side of the counter until his nose was almost touching hers.



AUTHOR BIO
Jillian Chantal is from the Gulf Coast of Florida where she loves to read and when she can't find the right story to read, to write it herself. She writes light paranormal, contemporary and 20th century historicals.

I love to talk to readers so feel free to email me at Jillianchantal@gmail.com. Visit me on my website http://www.Jillianchantal.com. Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/JillianChantal. Connect with me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/jillian.chantal.

QUESTION
If you could be a shifter, which type would you choose?
Comment below. It's fun to chat!

__________________________________________________

Author Focus 
is Paloma's weekly Friday Feature. 

It's a time set aside to share with my readers and followers other authors you might enjoy. If you are stopping by, please leave a COMMENT for my guest author to welcome them. Look for their AUTHOR QUESTION and weigh in with your opinion.

If you're an author and would like to be featuredplease click on the BE MY GUEST tab at the top of the blog.

Comments

  1. Thanks for having me over to visit today, Paloma. Love your blog and am thrilled to be asked to hang out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be some kind of cat I am certain if I were a shifter. I am convinced one day some of the cats around the office where I work are just going to shift right into someone. Preferably a hot man. This looks like a great story. I have yet to be disappointed with any of Jillian's stories. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment, Dandwh. I appreciate it. And I hope the cat near your office is a super-hot man!!

      Delete
  3. I'd want to be an eagle! I could watch everything from high above and swoop down with my sharp talons! Of course, if not an eagle, a kitty cat would do. Love the snow leopard in your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An eagle would be an awesome creature to be, Sandy! All that swooping would be fun!! Thanks re: my snow leopard.

      Delete
  4. I'd like to be one of those multi-purpose shifters, like Sam in the Sookie Stackhouse books. But then I always did have a short attention span...
    Great post, Jillian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Multi purpose is a good plan, Liv then you'd never be bored. LOL! Thanks for commenting

      Delete
  5. Jillian, I love that your shifter is a snow leopard. I don't know if this counts as a shifter, but morphing to an elemental would be cool- such as wind or water. I may have to work on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome idea, Flossie. I love that. Sounds really wicked cool!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts