The MisAdventures of Pann Haggerty

Romance Beckons welcomes Amanda Ward
Hi, my name is Amanda Ward and I’m thrilled to be on Paloma’s blog. I’m here to talk about my debut novel with Sweet Cravings Publishing called THE MISADVENTURES OF PANN HAGGERTY.

So what can I say about Pann? She is a widowed Englishwoman of a ‘certain age’, who after picking up her teenage son’s underpants for the umpteenth time decides that enough is enough. On impulse she hires an RV so she can travel around America visiting all the places she has only ever seen on television shows and in her favourite musicals.

On her first full day in the States, Pann meets Joel Harper, owner of a luxury hotel chain. For some reason he is completely ‘smitten’ with her, so leaving his business in the hands of his more than capable brother and second in command, he asks to travel with her. As friends first. Joe is of course a gentleman.

Pann and her ‘average Joe’ as I nicknamed him, begin their adventure around the States. Stopping off in
Martha’s Vineyard, and visiting Boston, Kent (on the West Coast) and other wonderful places.

Pann brings her enthusiasm for everything English (including tea, biccies and Marmite), delighting Joe and others with her quirks and her apparent innocence towards life.

As an added treat, as the evenings are drawing in, at the end of the book is the first part of Pann’s cookbook. With a few of the English meals that I enjoyed as a child, and as a special bonus, my Christmas cake and my mother in laws’ Christmas pudding recipe. These should be prepared soon as the longer they mature, the richer and spicier they taste.
 

Buy Links

So here is a teaser from the book, and I hope that you enjoy the first book as much as I enjoyed writing it.
“What do you think you are doing, crazy lady?” Joe said slowly.

“Well, duh,” Pann mocked him. “What does it look like? I’m having a tea party. Where better to have one…than here?” She announced taking a bow. Cutting a piece of sunken, lopsided cake, Pann put it on a napkin and handed it to Joe.

“I knew you were up to something,” Joe muttered taking a bite of the cake. It tasted much better than it looked.

“You can’t have a tea party without cake,” Pann said stubbornly.

Joe took a deep breath. “Wrong revolution, darlin’. That was the French one,” he informed her.

“And the tea party?” asked Pann, totally confused by all the history being thrown at her.

“To do with taxing of tea. Crates of it were thrown overboard and into the river.”
 
“That’s terrible. What an absolute waste of perfectly good tea.” Pann sniffed in disgust. She sat down with her own cup and munched on her cake.

Joe couldn’t resist taking a photograph of her.

“Say Tea Party!” he teased. Pann stuck her tongue out at him. Joe continued taking photographs anyway. She pulled up her jeans at one point, exposing red socks.

“Pann what are you wearing?”
 
“Red socks. You said Boston was the home of the Red Socks. So I am wearing them because I’m in Boston.” 
“Pann, you crazy English lady. When I said Boston was home to the red socks, I meant the Red Sox. A baseball team,” Joe said slowly and carefully so she would understand.

“Baseball,” Pann thought for a moment. “Is that like rounders?”
 
“You have to be kidding me! You’ve never heard of baseball?” Joe’s voice was incredulous.

“Of course I have. You hit a ball with a round stick. Then run around the field and touch bases. That’s rounders.” The tone of her voice dared him to argue the toss.

“What about football?” Joe decided to open the can all the way.

"Rugby,” Pann countered.

"Soccer?”
"Football.” Pann was evidently enjoying her banter with him.

He sat down on the steps and put his head in his hands.

"Save me from this crazy English woman,” he pleaded to no one in particular

Sorry, pal. You’re on your own,” replied a passer-by.
Amanda Ward Biography
What you see is what you get, sums me up perfectly.
I'm a published author with Books To Go Now and Secret Cravings Publishing. Sharing my home with my wonderful husband Matt, three children and two mad moggies, life in my home in Bedfordshire is never dull. There is always some moment waiting around the corner to be written into a novel. My interests include a passion for history, romance novels, cooking, and science fiction. Of course not forgetting the great and wonderful Doris Day musicals. A perfect afternoon for me would be a pot of tea, plenty of biscuits with a Doris Day film on the telly. Shared with great friends and my amazing mother in law. Putting the world to rights. Life is great!

Website: http://amandajward.weebly.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AmandaAJWard?ref=hl
Email me and become a Pann Fann at mrsajward@hotmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts