Queen of My Kingdom: Reading to My Children #amreading


Reading has always been a big part of my life. I knew when I had my children that books -and a love for reading- would be a gift I'd want to share with them. I read aloud when they were in utero and then once they arrived, I read while nursing. I had books included in toy baskets around the house and in the car. I can't even express the thrill when my oldest son's first word was book! (Hubby was more excited when our second son's first word was ball!)

Some of our favorite beginning children's books included... Is Your Mama A Llama? by Deborah Guarino, Love You Forever by Robert Munsch, The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn, Giggle, Giggle, Quack by Doreen Cronin, Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson, Duck! Rabbit! by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and, of course, anything Dr. Seuss.

Books are always out at our house - in the family room, toy room and bedrooms. When the boys were old enough to begin selecting their own books, trips to the book store took on a whole new meaning. Worlds opened to them as they moved into the Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne and then onto Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. They fell in love with Andrew Clements and Roald Dahl before diving into more advanced reader series by JK Rowlings, Rick Riordan and Suzanne Collins.

How did I foster a love for reading in my children?

  • Read to Them - Read books often to children before they can read themselves. Then keep reading to them until they ask you to stop! Even once they can read, it's enjoyable to be read to.
  • Have Books Accessible - Keep books around so they're always an option.
  • Read with Them - Read the books they read so you can talk about them. Also, just read in their presence so they see that you enjoy reading too.
  • Explore New Genres - Widen their interest in reading by exposing them to different types of books.
  • Honor their Interests - Your interest might not match theirs so be open and flexible. As long as its age appropriate, it's good for them to read something you might not like.

Are you a parent who loves to read? How do you share your love for reading with your children?

My Stick Family from WiddlyTinks.com

Comments

Popular Posts