type of lives they live... What they want? I stumbled upon this survey done by RWA that spells it all out.
Romance Writers of America® (RWA) is a nonprofit trade association whose mission is to advance the professional interests of career-focused romance writers through networking and advocacy. RWA works to support the efforts of its members to earn a living, to make a full-time career out of writing romance—or a part-time one that generously supplements his/her main income.
Who Are Romance Readers?
- 64.6 million Americans read at least one romance novel in the past year. In 2002, there were 51.1 million readers in America.
- 29% of the Southern population reads romance, the highest area in the US. 12.6% of the Northeast population reads romance, the lowest area in the US.
- 78% of romance readers are female.
- The percent of male romance readers increased significantly since 2002, from 7% to 22%.
- 50% of romance readers are married.
- 40% of romance readers are between the ages of 35-54.
- 42% of romance readers have a bachelor’s degree or higher.
- 54% of romance readers have read between 1 and 5 books this past year. Only 10% of romance readers read more than 21 books yearly.
- 36 % of romance readers buy their books new, either paperback or ebook. 16% borrowed their book from a friend.
- 48% of romance readers prefer thriller, mystery or action plots.
- 36% of romance readers prefer books that take place in exotic settings.
- 33% of romance readers enjoy contemporary themes.
- 65% of romance readers prefer covers that are either abstract and/ or romantic.